Take my word for it, this is the best Cranberry Sauce, Port-Sweetened. I’ve made it for years during the holidays, and even not during the holidays because it’s that good and adds to many dishes. Plus, your kitchen will smell Divine!!!! Of course, a nip of the port doesn’t hurt either.
Makes 2 cups
The Ingredient List
1 cup tawny port, or substitute cranberry or pomegranate juice
(NOTE: I have used 1/2 cup port and 1/2 cup juice and it worked fine)
1 cup water
1 cup fresh cranberries
½ cup naturally sweetened dried cranberries
1 small apple, peeled and grated (1/2 cup)
2 teaspoons grated fresh orange zest, or substitute 1 tsp grated ginger
(NOTE: I use orange zest)
The Preparation Method
- Bring port, both fresh and dried cranberries, apple, orange zest or ginger and water to a boil in medium saucepan over medium heat.
- Reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer 25 – 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Toward the end, stir to mash cranberries.
- If it’s seems to have more liquid than you prefer, low boil without a lid to allow evaporation till you find desired consistency.
- Cool before serving. Keeps 3-4 days in the refrigerator, if it lasts that long.
Use it to spread on those turkey sandwiches, or top the Saturday Morning (Pumpkin) Pancakes!
Happy Thanksgiving ~~Phebe
Also published on Medium.